Sunday, June 16, 2013

Day 1 Leading to Alex’s Demise


It’s been more than a week and I’m still hoping that it’s just a nightmare!  No goodbye & no farewell kiss.  I can’t even kiss him as there was the breathing tube attached which can’t be removed even though he had left this world!  We usually give each other a kiss before we part for the day!

Alex had complained of intermittent chest pains for a couple of weeks prior to his demise on Friday, 7 June 2013.  So on Monday, 3 June, he went to Shenton Medical Centre at Arcade in Raffles Place.  The doctor, Dr Winston Ho, arranged for ECG and X-ray to be done in the clinic.  His ECG showed an abnormal heartbeat and Dr Ho arranged for further checks at National Heart Centre and an appointment was scheduled at 2:30 pm on Tuesday, 4 June.

When we were at National Heart Centre (NHC), we were attended by Dr Chin Chee Tang, a senior consultant.  Dr Chin told us that if we had gone to any hospital with the ECG printout and Alex explaining to the doctors of his condition, Alex would have been admitted immediately.  Dr Chin also went on to explain how a clogged artery looks like.  He said Alex is a good candidate for angiogram and if we don’t do this angiogram sooner, there is a high chance that Alex may have a heart attack.



We then decided to proceed with the angiogram the next day ie on Wednesday.  Dr Chin did mention that he has a business trip after the procedure.  As this procedure is relatively low risk, we felt it is ok to proceed.

There were a couple of blood tests done in NHC on Tuesday, 4 June.

Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Alex got up at 3:30 am to have a light breakfast as the nurse at NHC had told us no food after 4 am and medication must be taken at 6 am.  We set out early as our appointment was at 7 am at Singapore General Hospital (SGH) and we arrived at 6:50 am.

When we arrived at SGH we went directly to Ward 44, not realizing that we should have gone to the Admissions for registration.  Anyhow the nurse in Ward 44, said it is ok and I can just go and sort out the admission matters later while Alex goes for his procedure.

After the nurse had taken his weight, height and blood test, he was wheeled into the lab on the 2nd floor.  I went with him to the lab and before we departed, I gave a quick kiss.  

This procedure lasted for about 45 minutes and he was apparently wheeled back into the ward at approximately 11 am.  I received a call from the hospital to say that he is back.  I rushed back from the food court to the ward.  Though I was seated at the waiting area, I didn’t see him wheeled into the ward.  After waiting for some endless wait, I approach the nurse then he told me that my husband was just back!  He was warded in the ICU as the High Dependency beds were not available.  It is routine for all patients who underwent this angiogram procedure to stay in the hospital for at least a night for observation.  Anyway, he said he was hungry so I informed the nurse and they got his lunch and we had our lunch together.

Approximately 2 hours after the lunch, he complained of severe chest pains.  I called for the nurse and she asked him the severity on a scale of 1 – 10 with 10 being severe.  He rated the pain as 10.  The nurse called for the doctor and also asked me to leave the room.  I was told that he fainted whilst they conducted more tests on him in the room.  That’s about the last I saw him alive!

Dr Goh who was the ward doctor in charge at the time then contacted Dr Chin and was told to bring him back to the Lab immediately.  

No one in both our families knows about him going for this angiogram.  We didn’t think it was necessary to tell anyone as it was supposed to be a relatively low risk procedure.  I contacted my sister, Jaye and also Alex's brother, Simon, and our insurance agent, Allan to let them know that there are complications!

All of them came to the hospital to give me their support.  The 2nd procedure took a bit longer and when Dr Chin came out of the Lab, he told me that Alex had a 10% survival chance!  My head was spinning and I didn’t know what to make of this.  I asked him how did this happened?  What happened to this low risk procedure?  He reiterated that the 1% low risk doesn’t mean no risk and no one knows who falls into the risk group.



The doctor then asked me to be prepared for the worst!  Bloody hell – Alex was admitted to the hospital generally healthy except for the supposedly low risk procedure!  True, no one wanted this to happen. The doctor then got Alex connected to life support machines to help him with breathing and also for his heart to have a rest.  Looking at all the wires and tubes really tear my heart apart!  Looking back, I wished I didn’t agree to him having this angiogram!  We were so sure that nothing detrimental especially death, could have happened to him since he is generally healthy!  

We went ahead with this angiogram procedure as we were told that it is a low risk procedure (1% risk) and that based on the ECG report, breathlessness and tiredness that Alex had encountered, he will get admitted into any hospitals if he were to go any of the A&E.  He is at risk of getting a heart attack.  So rather than take a chance that he may get a heart attack, we thought it would be better for him to get this procedure done.  Also, he had a colleague who had this done and all went well.

By Wednesday evening, the Ward was swamped with family and friends!  I had support from both sides of our families.  I was glad that all of Alex's family managed to come to visit as I was worried that they may not be able to meet him for the very last time.  Being a Muslim, in the event that of death, burial is ideally within 24 hours.  Alex’s colleagues and 7-11 senior management were also at the hospital and some were at the mortuary and burial ground to pay their last respect.  


Despite my sadness at losing my soulmate, I am glad that Alex had touched many people in his life.  He was much loved by family, friends and colleagues!!





No comments:

Post a Comment