Friday, September 10, 2010

My Patterns of Excellence Experience

Although I attended the Patterns of Excellence course more than a year ago, the activities I've participated in remained in my mind and they all seemed very fresh still.  I do miss the sessions and had hoped to join the team again either as a participant or trainee coach.

For a start, it was very difficult (instead of "trying") to keep myself awake especially between the hours of 9 pm and 12 midnight and this goes on for 4 nights! I had to practically stuffed my face with coffee which on normal days I only drink a glass of iced coffee after lunch. Previously I don't even drink coffee. It's a bad habit I picked up a couple of months ago.

First thing I must remember is to stop using the forbidden word in POE sessions, "TRY"! This word is very expensive when used in the session or within the premises. It cost you anything between $2 and $20! Damn expensive and I had to fork out $30 for it! It really hurts my pocket.  Their logic is if you don't feel the pain, you will continue to use the word!  In short, no pain, no gain.

My son who is a special needs person tends to get really upset whenever we do not understand his hand gesture or his words.  His spoken words are not very clear so it is quite difficult to understand him as well.  He lost his vision when he was 7 due to stroke. I am working towards changing my son's attitude of getting angry by reminding him that he can only get angry 2 times a day for 5 seconds. Then he must change this angry state to a happy state. He bargained for 7 times then he increased it to 8 and now he said 10!

I am also working towards being a bit more patient and not to flare up especially with my maid! She is my stress factor but I must remember to take responsibility for my action instead of blaming her. It is the E + R = O equation.

No comments:

Post a Comment